Lower East side shooting today, NY, Police Confrontation Ends in Fatality

Lower East side shooting today, NY, Police Confrontation Ends in Fatality

In a dramatic turn of events on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, a police attempt to question a suspect involved in an unsolved shooting escalated into a fatal confrontation. The suspect, identified as Kent Edwards, was fatally shot after barricading himself in an apartment on Eldridge Street. This article delves into the details of the incident, the suspect’s history, and the unfolding events leading to the tragic outcome.

Police Track Down Suspect

The incident unfolded when officers tracked down Kent Edwards to an apartment on Eldridge Street, deploying both physical and electronic surveillance. Edwards was a suspect in an unsolved shooting at a bar on the Upper East Side in October.

Barricaded Standoff

Upon knocking on the apartment door, officers were met by two women, who revealed that Edwards had barricaded himself in the bathroom armed with a 9 mm firearm. The unfolding standoff triggered a series of escalating events.

Failed Attempts at Communication

Officers attempted to establish contact with Edwards through verbal communication, but the suspect rendered a rolling camera useless. Subsequent efforts using a drone were thwarted when Edwards swatted it out of the air with a broom.

Avatar Robot Deployed

Authorities deployed an Avatar, a rolling robot equipped with a camera, as officers followed behind it holding shields. Despite these measures, Edwards emerged from the bathroom and fired four shots at officers, striking one in the ballistic shield and another in a bulletproof vest.

Exchange of Fire

In response to the gunfire, officers returned fire, ultimately striking Edwards. The suspect was later pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital. The exchange left one officer with injuries to the ballistic shield and another with an impact on their bulletproof vest.

Suspect’s Criminal History

Kent Edwards had an extensive criminal history, with 11 prior arrests dating back to 1995. His latest arrest was in February of the same year, involving charges of rape.

Unsolved Shooting

Edwards was wanted in connection with a shooting outside Izzy’s, a bar on the Upper East Side, where a 32-year-old man was shot in the leg and pistol-whipped following a bar fight on October 18.

Eyewitness Accounts

Eyewitnesses in the neighborhood reported hearing shots fired during the incident. One neighbor expressed surprise, mentioning they were unaware of the situation until the shots were fired.


The fatal shooting of Kent Edwards in a barricaded standoff with police on the Lower East Side highlights the complexities and risks law enforcement officers face. The incident, stemming from an unsolved shooting in October, underscores the challenges in apprehending suspects with a history of violence. As the community processes this tragic event, questions linger about the sequence of events and the potential implications for police procedures in similar situations.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *